May 30, 2013 by Juha Repo
Another local planning exhibition took place last week and this time it is Barratt Homes, who have bought the sites of Hill House and Erland House and Milcote House in 128-150 Blackfriars Road.
We at BARD had a look at the plans, and while the proposal otherwise is quite respectful of its historical surroundings, we feel that the proposed 30-storey single tower in Blackfriars Road sticks out too much and could function as a catalyst for further high rise development in this part of Blackfriars Road.
The amount of affordable housing proposed for the site is also lower than what Southwark Council stipulates, but we can assume some other provision might be made elsewhere in the borough.
Barratt Homes representatives told us they have had continuous discussions with the Southwark Planning department and this proposal is the latest version based on those discussions.
The company representatives say that they will have to be able to achieve a certain number of units on the site to make it profitable, and they feel one single tower is the best way to get the mass needed.
They also pointed out how the rest of the development is 7 or 8 stories high in keeping with the surroundings. They also talked about how the tower could be seen as a landmark at the opposite end of Blackfriars Road of something like One Blackfriars.
The company intends to place an application for a planning permission by the end of the summer.
The scheme at a glance:
• Approximately 400 new residential apartments
• Approximately 25% affordable housing delivered on-site, of which 65% is proposed as affordable rent and 35% as shared ownership
• Proposed flexible office space of c. 35,000 ft2, equivalent to the size of the current office provision in Erlang House
• Proposed retail space of 16,500 ft2
• New public square and linkages through to Library Street alongside high quality public realm
• Support for major public realm enhancements to the surrounding area
Download the PDF-document below to see for yourself. We will keep you posted on any developments here.
The developers are accepting feedback until 23 June, find the feedback form below: