May 1, 2013 by Juha Repo
Southwark Council has placed a design document on their website, based on the consultation on Blackfriars Road that took place earlier.
The whole pdf-document on the Southwark website here
- Provide a cohesive landscaping of Blackfriars Road whilst recognising the need to acknowledge its different sections.
- Enhance and extend existing greenery to provide visual and acoustic softening, and prevent water run off.
- Ease pedestrian movement across Blackfriars Road at Southwark Street/ Stamford Street, Columbo Street/Burrell Street, The Cut/Union Street and St George’s Circus.
- Recognise and respond to the character and heritage of Blackfriars Road and its surroundings.
- Balance the needs of private and public vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians.
- Integrate Blackfriars Road more effectively with the surrounding areas.
- Celebrate temporary events and provide opportunities for temporary uses.
- Support and incentivise active frontages and ground floor uses along the street.
- Establish a creative lighting strategy for Blackfriars Road.
- Develop an identity for Blackfriars Road as it becomes a destination.
BARD recognises that these principles are helpful, but would have wanted to see also the threatened Imbibe pub listed under heritage buildings, as well as Christchurch or the Peabody Estate.